Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Orange Marmalade Day 2



I continued cooking the orange marmalade early this morning.
Bring it back to a boil.





After it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer the oranges for 2 hours. ( you should see bubbled near the surface, but not bubbling).
After two hours, turn up the heat to medium heat and boil gently for another 30 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent burning.




Bring it to 220 F (I could not get it pasts 215, but each thermometer may not register accurately, I did however see a color change and I tested a small sample, by putting it in the refrigerator and checking if it jelled, after it had cooled some. It should not be runny anymore, but still be moist. (Add water if the mixture becomes too thick or cook longer to make less runny). This process took a bit longer than I thought it would.


Sterilize your jars by boiling them (and the lids) for at least 3 minutes.
Ladle the hot marmalade into the hot jars and seal immediately.
As the jars cool they will appear less runny and the seal should be indented (you do not hear the lids click when you press on the center of the lid gently).
You can store these for up to 1 year in the pantry. They made 14 half pint jars for me. Plenty to give away and some to keep for ourselves.

After tasting a sample, it took me back to the time I visited England. Yummy.
Thank you Ina Garten for sharing this recipe in your cookbook. I will make it again.

No comments: