Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Greek Orzo Pasta Salad


This is a wonderful refreshing dish that I love to serve at our home.  My husband and I seem to always battle for the last bowl when the late night munchies hit.  We end up sharing!

It is an easy dish to put together, chop your veggies and such while the pasta cooks and then cool the orzo under running cold water and it is a flash to assemble.  The beauty of this dish is you can put any veggies in you want.  My mom made this with green beans once and broccoli another time. Both were delicious.  I happen to like this combination the best.  But if you did not like artichokes, or cucumbers - substitute away!

Greek Orzo Pasta Salad
Serves 6-8

3/4 lb Barilla Orzo (I have tried other brands, but I love the size and texture of the Barilla brand)
1 cucumber, peeled and diced (I like the hot house or English ones they are most consistently good)
1 can artichoke hearts
1 can black olives (Greek style if you desire, but can be made with just regular olives if you wish)
1 package cherry or grape tomatoes (chopped tomato is fine too)
fresh basil, chopped (to taste or 1 tsp of dried basil works in a pinch)
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled or cut in cubes if you like larger pieces of feta
1/2 jar roasted Red Peppers (optional)

For the Dressing:
6 Tbsp. olive oil
4 Tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp. mint
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper

Cook the Pasta according to the directions.  Prepare the vegetables, and put in a large bowl.  When the pasta is cooked, drained and cooled, add to the chopped veggies.  Combine the ingredients of the dressing and pour over the pasta salad.  Combine.  Add the feta cheese last, it seems to hold together better then.  Enjoy.  This really is quite addicting.  I think you will find it is as well.

2 comments:

Pam said...

I love Greek flavors and orzo so I am certain I would love this dish.

You asked me how I got my tabs on my blog...It came with the template that I use. I changed the names of the tabs in html. Hope this helps.

goodcookbecky said...

Thanks for your speedy answer Pam. Your blog is one of the top 5 I visit on a fairly regular basis. Keep it up! :-)Any tips for the newbie like myself?