Friday, January 15, 2010

All-American Chicken-Zucchini Casserole


Here is another recipe from Cuisine at Home.  It also is in the Cuisine At Home Issue 79/February 2010 on page 23.

Let me start by saying, my husband and I liked it.  Two of our three children tolerated it, and the third disliked the texture, but she ate it after I dangled the proverbial carrot (I mean dessert).  I also have a dog.  He is a German Shepherd who weighs in at 100 lbs and whose only purpose in life is to lay on the carpet and expect to get belly rubs all day and coat every inch of the house with dog hair, but he comes into this story a little later... ah well, why not now.  As you know German Shepherds are covered in fur.   A LOT OF FUR that then ends up on the floor and the largest clump is the dog.  I lovingly call him the German Shedder!  Yes, SHEDDER... my son who is now a very active 6 was having a good day.  He was all energetic after dinner.. I still had the casserole sitting on the table waiting to cool and then be put away because there was plenty left over for another meal, since two of my kids tolerated it and one disliked it... well my son was in Winter Break mode, which means -- wear the same pair of socks until they are able to stand up on their own, even though Mom does plenty of laundry.. well, he was swinging it around and around.. throwing it in the air and then catching it... and yes, his aim and exuberance got a little in the way... the sock ceremoniously flew high in the air...and you guessed it: landed splat right in the middle of the left over casserole... his sock, covered in dog hair, and disgusting dirt.. in the left overs.. so I don't think we will have it again... at least not that one.. some friends suggested I skim off the top... but no, I don't think I want the health inspectors knocking down my door... plus the best part of this dish is on top.

I skinned and de-boned the chicken thighs myself.  And for the future, I will be using ready to go chicken breast halves next time.. if there is a next time.  Maybe when my daughter is at Winter Camp...

Here is the recipe:
All-American Chicken-Zucchini Casserole
Serves 8
Total time: 1 hour and 15 minutes (though it took longer for me because I struggled so with the stupid de-boning and then I could not locate some items so I had to drag a chair and climb on it to look deeper into my cabinet to find a few things..and the phone rang and it was my mom.. and we had dinner at 7! which is late for us... but my son learned to ride his bike without training wheels under the watchful care of his father.. good stuff...oh and we finished the experiments for two science projects that will be due soon that day... entertaining I must say... but that is not part of the recipe so let me get back to that.. as I was saying:

All-American Chicken Zucchini Casserole- Cuisine at Home

Serves 8
Total time: 1 hour and 15 minutes

For the Zucchini Mixture:
1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2/3 cup dry basmati rice
8 cups chopped zucchini (2 1/2 lbs)
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup water
2 cloves garlic, minced

For the Cheddar Mixture:
3 large eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar Cheese (5 oz)
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided use
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs, divided use
1 tsp. dried italian seasoning
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (only if they come that way!)
Kosher salt and black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 F coat a 9x13x2 baking dish with non-stick spray.

Bring broth to a boil in a small saucepan over hight heat.  Add rice, cover, and reduce heat to low; simmer until liquid is absorbed; 20 minutes

Combine zucchini, onion, water, and garlic in a large saucepan; cook, stirring occasionally over medium heat until zucchini is tender, about 20 minutes.  Drain and lightly mash zucchini mixture.

Stir together eggs, cheddar, sour cream, milk, 1/4 cup Parmesan, 1/4 cup bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, 1 tsp salt, Tabasco, and 1/4 tsp. pepper in a large bowl.

Add the cooked rice along with the zucchini mixture to the cheddar mixture in the bowl.  Spoon the combined mixture into the prepared baking dish.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Season chicken with salt and pepper.  Saute until golden brown, 3-5 minutes on each side.

Arrange chicken on rice mixture in the baking dish.  combine the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and remaining 1/4 cup bread crumb; sprinkle over the chicken and rice in the baking dish.

Bake chicken and rice until bubbly, about 30 minutes. Chicken is done when it reaches 165 F when tested with an instant read thermometer.

Source:  Cuisine At Home Issue 79/February 2010 on page 23

1 comment:

I am Mom said...

Funny how this morning I have only clicked on two recipe blogs - yours and food gawker. Both of you have very entertaining posts! Much love from another home with stiff socks and dog hair :)